- OLIVER TWIST (understudy only) ( 11-13): An orphaned workhouse boy. Innocent, likeable, winsome, wide-eyed, curious. Sees the good in everyone he encounters. Vulnerable yet brave. Strong actor. Must move well. (Unchanged voice)
- FAGIN (Understudy only) (50 +): An elderly thief, in charge of a gang of young pickpockets. Wise, clever, quick-witted, sarcastic, loveable, hascible, inconigible. Vocal soloist. Strong character actor, excellent singer/dancer.
- THE ARTFUL DODGER (understudy only) (12-15): A pickpocket. Fagin's most trusted pupil, bright and cocky, small for his age. Boundless energy, quick on his feet; lives up to his name! Vocal soloist. Strong actor. Must be nimble mover/dancer. Hat tricks a plus!
- BILL SYKES (understudy only) (25-40): The villain. Dark, threatening, volatile. A classic "heavy" role. Vocal soloist. Must have imposing, fearsome physical presence aid voice.
- MR. BUMBLE (Understudy only)(45-60): The Beadle, in charge of the workhouse. A large, pompous, greedy man without much native intelligence. Vocal soloist; excellent trained tenor.
- WIDOW CORNEY (40-60): Mistress of the workhouse. Sharp-tongued, domineering. Must sing well.
- MR. SOWERBERRY (40-60): An undertaker with a macabre sense of humor. Strong character actor, must sing well.
- FAGIN'S GANG (7-15): Gang of young thieves in Fagin's employ. All types/sizes. All must sing and move well (seeking 14-20 children; also play workhouse kids)
- CHORUS (15 +): 6-10 men; 6-10 women. Excellent dancers, must sing well. Many large chorus musical numbers. All types/vocal ranges. Also play supporting roles, with some vocal solos: DR. GRIMWIG,, BOW STREET RUNNERS (the British police); STREET VENDORS, TOWNSPEOPLE, PAUPERS, ETC.